9km River Swim
Date(s) and Times
Sunday August 19th
Waves are expected to start between 07:30 & 08:00
Howbery Business Park
Benson Lane Wallingford
Swim car parking will be at Howbery Business Park; follow our event signage from Benson Lane. Swim HQ is a short walk away.
Long Reach Swim
The Long Reach Swim is now 9km in length, downstream and features one lock.
The River Thames is an iconic landmark stretching from the Gloucestershire countryside, through the Home Counties and the City of London to open out into the Thames Estuary - we'll be using a delightful section between Wallingford & Goring. We're delighted this year to have lengthened the swim slightly, to finish at the stunning Swan at Streatley.
LONG REACH COURSE
2017 RESULTS & 2017 PHOTOS
HQ will be at Crowmarsh Recreation Ground, with all swim car parking a few hundred yards away at Howbery Business Park.
At HQ you will find event registration, toilets, showers and refreshments.
SWIM TIMES & GROUPS
We are likely to have three swim groups, starting at 07:30, 07:45 & 08:00, with swim groups being confirmed around 7 days before the event.
WATER TEMPERATURE & WETSUITS
We anticipate water temperatures in the region of 17-18 degrees, but this is subject to the usual variables in such a river. The swim isn't wetsuit compulsory, and you'll be asked about your swim category within the entry form. The swim will again be tow float compulsory however.
The 2018 Long Reach charity is the Thames Valley Air Ambulance. All local Air Ambulance rescue missions leave from RAF Benson, a mile from our swim start area, so it's especially relevant that we assist them this year.
OTHER USEFUL INFO
- We'll have plenty of water safety staff & medics with each swim group.
- The swim will be chip timed.
- Transport is provided to swimmers as part of their entry, and for spectators as space allows, for £5 each. This is provided from the finish AFTER THE SWIM back to the event car park.
- We suggest spectators follow the action on foot along the Thames Path - you will be close to the action along the swims length apart from a one mile section near Moulsford School. The Spectator Guide can be found HERE from August 10th.
- Three feed stations along the swim, serving bananas, flapjacks etc along with water, cola, hand sanitiser, foil blankets. You can have your own favourite items sent to feed stations of your choice.
- Awesome medals to all finishers, completed with an iTAB engraved with your name and finish time in the days after the swim.